Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lowering the Salt....Sigh!!!!!

As some you know, or for those finding out just now, Russell has a congenital heart defect and will have to have open heart surgery eventually.

Before we can do the surgery, we have to get his blood pressure down, which we've been trying for a while now to do. Unsuccessfully.

So now we have to lower his salt intake even more.

Drastic times call for drastic measures. So I got on Amazon and ordered a few low salt cookbooks. When they give recipes for Ranch dressing and cream of chicken soup, you know you're in trouble.

At least we're in summer, so I'll be able to work out some low salt recipes. So far, my favorite references are 500 Low Sodium Recipes and the Hypertension Cookbook For Dummies.



The Dummie Cookbook even has a section for kids!
I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Yowza! A hard thing to limit... good luck. He is lucky to have you!

Unknown said...

what good wife you are! I hardly ever use salt in my cooking and never salt my food- my mom grew up with a dibetic sibling so she just never change the no-salt thing... BUT there is so much hidden salt in things!! scary! I would love the ranch recipe!