Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sophia's First Slumber Party/ Russell's Family Party

 The week of Jan. 13-18th, Russell and Sophia were on the mend, recovering from the flu. But by Thurs., I was afraid I had it. I felt like crap, coughing, achy. I wasn't sure what it would feel like because I've never had it but it just seemed inevitable. So on Thurs., I finally went to the Dr. But it was just a sinus infection. Yea! My flu-free steak continues! 

By Saturday, Sophia was completely well so she was able to go to her first ever, non-family, sleep over for her friend Kailer's 6th birthday.  We've known Kailer, her brother Kamden and her parent's since Sophia was 9 months old and went to Ms. Brenda's with them. 

They brought their sleeping bags (Sophia's favorite task of the week...picking out the perfect sleeping bag. It was Disney Princess of course). They got their nails done, hair done, tattoos etc. they even had a scavenger hunt and movie time. I was really afraid Sophia would get homesick right about the time they had to go to bed. But she didn't. No calls to come pick her up in the middle of the night. Yea! My baby is no longer a baby....sigh.


Sophia also discovered hair extensions there. Maybe you can see it in the pic...a strip of pink? After that, she's hooked and demanded we go buy more. Once again...sigh. Four years old going on 14. 

Sunday morning, Russell picked her up and we all headed over to my parent's house for his family party.

I thought I should document that Sophia has layered a pair of black tights under a pair of white leggings with a ruffle trim. There are times I wonder if she's mine. Me in tights? Over leggings? Kill me please! I hate wearing hose or tights. So uncomfortable but she LOVES it. 

I didn't take many pics on this day. After a muscle relaxer and pain pill I was a little out of it. But at least my back wasn't killing me.


Everyone looks so happy and healthy here!

That night Sophia went home from the family party and fell asleep in Russell's lap on the couch. Russell and Sophia were going to be home the next day because it was MLK day and HEB schools were out (except for teachers, in service day). But that night, Sophia woke up crying/screaming because of her throat and her ear hurting. Thank goodness I didn't have to be 100% the next day. I got up with her several times. 

The next morning they went to the Dr. (sooner rather than later after she puked). She had strep and an ear infection. Is it bad that I was happy because she could be put on antibiotics and "cured"? I just hate it when they say virus and there's nothing they can do. Just wait it out. 

So along with my continued back pain and sinus infection and having to go to work as much as I can, I had to stay home with her on Wed. because she hadn't been fever free for 24 hours. 

I know, I know. It could be worse. After going to my first physical therapy session/consultation, I will gladly take my minor back pain over the other therapy patients. And I know all these illnesses are minor, relatively speaking (compared to what my friend Tricia sees at the RMH everyday). It could always be worse. But sometimes, it just feels good to throw a pity party. :) 

OK, pity party thrown. Executed! Successful! And moving on! Hoping we can stay healthy. Knock on wood!




2 comments:

Allison said...

That's a rough stretch with illness! Things are tough when everyone is sick... extra hard when parents are sick and feel like everything is a BIG deal because it IS a big deal to be sick and caring for others!! I can't believe Sophia had a sleep over! What a big shot! Glad you are all on the mend!

Anonymous said...

Her first sleep over?! That is huge! And really, let me just say, once again...kindred spirits! Pink hair extensions?! A girl after my own heart. Oh, how I love Sophia. She is full of spunk and pizzazz, and she's getting braver every day.
Y'all have been hit HARD in a short amount of time with all kinds of crud. Everything's relative; this was a tough run for y'all. Nothing wrong with a good pity party every now and then...they keep things in perspective.
Tricia